Apply the Gospel

Posted by Jess

Something I learned today is that I need to learn how to apply the Gospel to myself when I sin. It’s not enough to know the Gospel, but we also have to know how to practically apply its truth. Today I sinned, I was selfish and didn’t do something I think God called me to do. So how do I apply the Gospel to myself in this moment? Jesus died for my selfishness so that the penalty of my selfishness is already paid for. So in other words, God isn’t mad at me for being selfish because he already poured out all his anger on Jesus. What else? I’m forgiven for being selfish. God forgives me. What about the regret of not obeying? Jesus obeyed perfectly so his righteousness is accounted to me. I’m not saved by how well I obey but by how well Jesus obeyed on my behalf. Now for the regret? “God has been so good to you and you’re selfish. Matt would’ve been generous. Others have shared with you.” Maybe there will be more opportunities for good works, and maybe this was a lesson to teach me to give more freely so next time I’ll be more generous. Maybe God is teaching me.
Paul in Romans 7 comes to mind.
“For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing....What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!”
Romans‬ ‭7:19, 24-25‬ ‭NIV‬‬
This is a little different because I wanted to be selfish. But nevertheless, Paul looks at Jesus.

I think I need to keep practicing this. How do you apply the Gospel to yourself when you sin?

Until next time,
=)
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment